View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 7:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright Concept View Post
I saw the links and then I went right to Beverly/Wilshire where there is slightly more residential density because there are series of 4-5 story apartments mixed with 10-15 story high rise office buildings with more on the way. Westwood is even denser than Wilshire/Robertson coupled with that area being LA's 2nd or 3rd CBD, UCLA being a hop-skip-jump away and the high-rise condo towers just east of Westwood and its no contest.
The residential density around Robertson continues south of Wilshire too. Look there. There's also a good amount of commercial density distributed along Wilshire for a good 1/4-mile or so. So, while it isn't Beverly or Westwood, the point is that Robertson is a center in its own right.

Quote:
I expect more development. Because 3-8 stories exist right now around other areas without a subway station along the corridor.
Maybe at Beverly, but for the most part there's very little 3-8 story density. It's mostly single-story businesses.

Quote:
Notice this doesn't include Expo to Santa Monica, or Foothill Gold Line or Green Line to LAX, Crenshaw Corridor.
Won't they soon factor into the rating because they're due for construction before Wilshire?

I just think it's a bit ridiculous that Wilshire, which single-handedly connects LA's major institutions and attractions, barely meets the cost-effectiveness standard, most likely due to severely underestimated ridership projections.

Quote:
Once those are built and operating the cost-effectiveness of the project improves significantly.
Wait, didn't you just say that under construction projects are included in the rating?

Quote:
Again the moral of the story is Density and Development will be the key to getting Federal New Starts $$$. Density of surrounding areas related to the cost of the transit infrastructure, and Density of the network the extension will connect to when it opens.
What I'm arguing about is that there already exists enough density along Wilshire to justify the subway extension and that it should not just barely meet the standard. I believe the FTA standard has been set too high. That is my point.

Quote:
Yes, that is the precise point.
So why isn't Beverly Hills doing such? Wouldn't they kill to have another subway stop?

Quote:
Agreed and however what is wrong with having dedicated bus only lanes to connect the two Beverly Hills stations being planned? That would add transit accessiblity to the area in question and feed into the subway stations it could even do better circulation within the neighborhood to connect to the stations.
Because no one wants to ride a bus.

Quote:
I agree with you on that context if money was no object however finances are going to affect the design quality and character.
In my mind, Beverly Hills should be doing everything in their power to fight for a station at Robertson.

β€” Jerome Bruner