View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
This IIRC is the reason Hines didn't go taller for WPS.

Pretty sure a hypothetical 1000+ foot office/mixed-use tower would minimally need the entire space left on the site. The footprint for Salesforce tower San Francisco is like 200x200 (feet)
Yeah, with how much green space they wanted from the start, plus the fact the parking garage takes up about half the lot as is, it just wasn't feasible without an oddly shaped tower, or something far too expensive for Chicago real estate.

That lot in NYC? Yeah, we could be talking about 1200+, but this isn't Billionaire's Row.

Edit: Adding to this and all the height obsessed people here(and don't get me wrong, I love supertalls), but just take a stroll to the base of Chase tower during the week on a lunch break. Stand underneath it in its plaza. This tower will be roughly the same height as that beast. Chase tower is imposing, and this tower will be as imposing when viewed from riverboat tours or the river walk. 850 feet is big, and as far as my eyes can tell, the visual difference between 850 and 1450 of the Sears tower is pretty minimal at street level. There's a certain point where verticality stops matter in some weird optical illusion at street level. I don't know what the physics of it are, but I walk by the Sears tower basically every day and it really doesn't look like it's twice or three times as tall as the buildings around it.

From a skyline perspective, I get it, we aren't getting something that will add another spike to the skyline, but at the same time, the Western, Southern, and Northern views of the skyline wouldn't really have allowed this tower to show off much even if we go with a pipe-dream height of 1200 feet to the parapet. A 950 foot WPS compared to 850 would do almost nothing visually speaking, at least in my opinion and based off my experience of staring at towers every day of my life in real life and online.