View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So glad CHSRA gave up on the 4-track Peninsula for this clearly superior alternative. F*** me.

The cost and timeline overrun is really not a good thing for other agencies looking at electrification. This really sucks. The takeaway will be any electrification project will cost hundreds of millions more and take years longer than projected. This will surely scare American agencies who are even remotely considering electrification. Bad news all around unfortunately.
The corridor needs to be electrified whether there are 2 tracks or 4 tracks, the HSR trainsets aren't dual-mode. It's not mutually exclusive.

I agree the delays are disappointing, and the cost here was actually very encouraging before the latest news came out. The thing is though that America can't build infrastructure of any kind without these kinds of problems. If Metra or SEPTA was building a new diesel powered line, they would run into other, equally bad problems. Amtrak can't even get new unpowered coaches without some weird lead contamination keeping them out of service. I don't think it casts doubt on electrification specifically vs. other kinds of transpo investments. Hell, even roadway projects are a mess these days.