View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:34 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
You being dramatic bro.
No, I'm not. It's one thing to be a casual observer on the internet, but it's something else to plunk down three-quarters of a million dollars for that.

My huge family immigrated to the United States and settled in East Oakland, they bought houses for $10-$20K that are now worth close to $1 million, and that's really the cruxt of the matter to me, these prices are outrageous. The free market is shutting out poor people and even middle class, investment buyers are outbidding actual homebuyers who want to live there.

I dont mind the hood aspect at all but these prices dont make sense.

The federal government is just sitting there as prices across the country are soaring? It was cute when it was just the rich areas of the Bay Area because they could afford it, but now it's spread to literally every corner of the region, and the rest of the country is facing a crisis.

Look at this ridiculousness:

Median Home Price, Metro Areas, Q1 2021
$1,500,000 San Jose
$1,200,000 San Francisco
$1,000,000 Anaheim
$940,400 Honolulu
$763,500 San Diego
$726,600 Boulder
$682,400 Los Angeles
$653,400 Seattle
$599,500 Naples
$598,600 Nassau-Suffolk
$582,700 Boston
$580,400 Bridgeport
$567,600 Barnstable Town
$554,400 Denver
$514,200 New York
$498,100 Washington DC
$489,100 Portland(OR)
$478,100 Reno
$475,000 Riverside
$469,200 Fort Collins
$465,000 Sacramento
$445,000 Miami
$437,900 Austin
$435,400 Salt Lake City
$322,600 Boise
$392,500 Salem(OR)
$387,500 Colorado Springs
$387,000 Manchester(NH)
$379,100 Eugene
$375,000 Sarasota
$373,700 Phoenix
$373,700 Portland(ME)
$369,900 Dutchess-Putnam
$362,600 Providence
$362,200 Ogden(UT)

National Association of Realtors

^This is hideous.

Quote:
The bottoms and East Oakland ain't that bad, at all.
No, sorry, for $774,000 it's unacceptable--prices need to make sense. Why do immigrants and middle class people need to move to Tracy and Lathrop to buy a house?

Also, I was born and raised in East Oakland, attended K-12 schools there, and I am unapologetically proud of my hometown, even after my parents moved us out of the 20s and to the hills we still attended schools in the urban core-even after growing up and moving all around the world for work--I am grateful for the perspective I have by growing up in the hood, but there are some things that are much worse now then when I was a kid in the 1990. Yes, I would say crime is actually lower now than back then, but it's still very high crime, there is an extremely reckless group of individuals here who have zero regard for others, you see it in how they drive. I go to the area around 98th and Macarthur every saturday to do some volunteer work and I refuse to ever take my kids down there, I am literally almost run off the road every week by a car that wont stop at stop signs, or are driving 80MPH in a 25MPH street. Im not kidding. It's not just the driving, it's the shadyass looking people walking around looking in cars, mailboxes, people always on the come up.

Im not saying it's all bad because these are actually family oriented neighborhoods with lots of families who are middle class and working class, but again, there are lots of very real, visible issues.

1. There are way more prostitutes on International and Foothill now then back then. Kids--KIDS!

2. There are now homeless encampments that look like shantytowns along E.12th and along the BART lines that remind me of Brazil from 20 years ago(I live in Sao Paulo part of the year)-if we're being honest.

3. There was actually more retail back then, Eastmont Mall was actually a mall, now it's like a social services complex/police station. East Oakland is the most underserved retail market I have ever seen anywhere in the United States. Thank goodness for enterprenurial locals who open the thousands of mom n pops that serve the community.

I could go on and on..

Quote:
And they will be gentrified (for better or worse). Even Sobrante Park used to be a middle class neighborhood and is fine. I use to work on West Oakland on San Pablo Ave in the worst part in early 2010s it wasn't that bad... ofc the areas aren't gonna cost 200s in the Bay Area in a central location.
Sobrante Park is always held up as some standard bearer of high crime but to me, Seminary Av, Bancroft, Macarthur from High St to 98th, are all worse.

West Oakland is a different animal from East Oakland-and San Pablo Av from oh West Grand to 580 is just rancid-in the past 2-3 years has gotten worse due to the homeless.

Again don't me wrong, I take Oakland, warts and all, but I'm not delusional.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost