View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
But using that frequency to make a point about a place being a suburb of a central city... does not make the point. It is not commuter rail frequent. It is the frequency of train service between two independent places located somewhat close together.
In response to some guy half a continent away arbitrarily deciding that Lancaster and Palmdale shouldn't be included in the Los Angeles-Long Beach CSA anymore, I made three points to the contrary. First, I provided average traffic counts showing a very high proportion of Lancaster/Palmdale workers commute by car into the rest of the metropolitan area; second, I noted there are 12 one-seat commuter rail runs in each direction between Lancaster/Palmdale and Los Angeles Union Station; and third, cargo is moved by train and truck all day and night between the port complex and the distribution centers in Lancaster/Palmdale. These are all verifiable connections supporting the conclusion that the US Office of Management and Budget has already made--that it's all one CSA. My point was not to brag about commuter rail frequency, or to compare that particular line with the outlier frequencies of mainline commuter rail service into and out of Manhattan.