View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm really surprised at the % Catholic numbers for Metro Detroit. I knew they'd be lower than Chicago, but not that low. Just 19% of white households?

Metro Detroit does have huge Middle Eastern populations, and those would be non-Catholic but (mostly) Christian and NHW. And there are relatively large Protestant Appalachian populations. But still, Macomb County is heavily Polish, Italian and German, Downriver is heavily Polish and Hungarian and suburban Oakland and Wayne have large, prominent Catholic populations. I grew up in the most Jewish corner of Michigan, and Catholics were still almost certainly the largest local group.
According to this list Detroit was the sixth largest archdiocese in the US circa 2005, so I'm sure it still has one of the highest percentages of NHW Catholic. Having said that, the numbers from the Catholic Hierarchy page do not seem to tie out with the ACS census figures. The CH web page claims that Detroit was 33% Catholic, and if you estimate that Detroit is roughly 75% NHW then the percentage of NHW that are Catholic would be at least 40%.