View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
The font of Great American Bank looks promising:

LA Times, 1/3/1980

Hi everyone--I have been an on again, off again lurker here. Just happened to visit last week and got swept into this "green building" mystery obsession. I have a few observations about this photo. But rather than solve this mystery, they just add more wrinkles. Also, just learning the ins and outs of posting here---so please excuse any mistakes made!

1. There have been some who questioned why there is no driveway ramp in front of the green building. But I can make out the shadow of an edge of the ramp on the right side just before the biker's front wheel. And through the spokes of the motorcycle, you can make out a yellow curb that begins. And along the front of the ramp, which spans the entire photo, you can make out the lip of the ramp where the street meets up.

2. The bank building. When you zoom in you can make out that the corners have a single pane. So technically, this building is 8 sided. That coupled with odinthor's Great American Bank image, where 1801 Century Park East, Century City, CA address was present, led me to check out the actual building, and it definitely has the same 8-sided look. They recently renovated the building, but it remains similar.

3. And lastly, the dark building. When you zoom in, you can make out the tall thin glass pane gridding. This grid configuration is identical to William Pereira's Larry Flynt building. Did Pereira design this building also, or was it a copycat architect??

The problem is, like everyone else, I don't see where these buildings in close proximity exist in LA. Unless one was demolished or extensively remodeled since 1984. The problem with Century City is that while there are dark buildings behind 1801 Century Park East, the angles and positions of the buildings don't pan out. Especially when configuring that a crusty old green building is nearby. Most of that surrounding area is residential or a golf course. So probably a dead end??

Was hoping my images would be larger, but they are clickable-sorry just a noob.