View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Quick nitpick for Philly.History: this photo has to be a bit [newer] than 1950. Most of the trolley lines in the city were converted to bus operations around the mid-1950s, specifically 1956. I wouldn't expect to see so many cars parked on the Market Street tracks in 1950, unless there was an ongoing strike or some other cancellation of service. If I were to take a guess, I would say that this was taken between 1957 and 1960.
As long as we're engaging in some photographic archaeology, there's another indication in that photo that it was probably taken around 1952-53. As best as I can tell, the films named on that movie theater marquee are "Thunderbirds" with John Derek, and "The Raiders," both of which were released in 1952 (according to IMDB). Also, to the extent that the car body styles are visible, they look to me to be more typical of model years in the late 1940s and early 1950s than the late '50s. Of course, I guess it's possible that folks in Philly were a few years behind the rest of the country in terms of the movies they saw and the cars they drove.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Sep 26, 2022 at 7:27 PM.