View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^Completely agree. Sadly, I’ve spent a lot of time in about 6-7 hospitals over the past few years helping family battling cancer, including a recent stay in a brand new Johns Hopkins specialized cancer center.
Yup, it's easy for healthy people who have limited exposure to hospital stays to think otherwise, but extended stays in intensive care units are common enough that this is very important for the experience of the patient and their families. Hospitals these days realize that the more homey a place is, the more comfortable people will be (a huge change from ththe 50s-70s built hospitals that dominate). Rumor has it at CHOP where I work that they're planning to move the labs to make more patient rooms solely because we have windows. For those unaware, CHOP's main hospital started as a brutalist building and the all glass facade came later, but the layout is from that era. If you look through the glass you can actually see the original building thats encapsulated in the glass. Our building is older, so it makes total sense to me that a brand new building is taking this into account from the start.