View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxean View Post
Yeah, I already explained this way back in the thread. I went to Penn and am horrified and disgusted by the billions of dollars they've spent putting up hideously ugly buildings which make the campus environment terrible and ruin the skyline of the city. That's my agenda, it's not a secret.

WHAT?! Do you know anything about Philadelphia? This building isn't "deep in Penn's campus". It's at the edge of West Philadelphia, overlooking the Schuylkill River. It's massive and can be seen from many parts of the city as well as from I-76. Tens of thousands of people will see this building on a daily basis, and thousands will work in and around it. AND, it's going to be in the skyline for the next 50+ years. That literally means that many, many millions of people will interact with this building over its lifetime. It's worth caring about.

It's an obsession because they're spending $1.5 BILLION dollars on this hulking piece of crap. And they spent over $700 million on the Frankenstein-looking Perelman Center. Penn Medicine just keeps dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into buildings which are both ugly on the outside and confusing on the inside. I find it genuinely outrageous that Penn can keep making the same terrible billion-dollar mistakes over and over while everyone else just shrugs their shoulders.

You seem... unhinged.

There have been plenty of shit buildings that have gone up or have been proposed in philly since you started your rants here. Why no complaints regarding them? Your focus on this building seems to go way beyond being a former Penn student and caring about Philadelphia's skyline. Your focus on the expense also seems odd considering you must understand that considering this is designed to be a world class hospital, the amount of that expense dedicated to design is a tiny fraction.