View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 6:27 PM
The City

^ I don't care too much about my personal interests when it comes to public officials such as the Mayor of Chicago. I think that's the problem with people these days, they want Government to solve their problems. Especially all those clergy on the south side bitching about "Why doesn't the city invest down here?" or "Where are all the jobs?" as if it's somehow Rahm Emanuel has the ability to wave a magic wand and POOF 100,000 manufacturing jobs return from China back to Chicago.

Sure, I don't like high taxes and I think city services are important, but in the big picture the most important job of the Mayor of Chicago in 2015 (in my opinion) is to not let Chicago lose ground to other global cities by encouraging more investment, all while still balancing the need to provide essential services to city residents and investing in important infrastructure.

It's not rocket science. But the vested interests and unfortunate deals made in the past (the parking lease, gilded pensions for public employee unions) make it incredibly difficult.