View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Chatham and Windsor are probably the most backward places in Canada. A few years ago, Chatham discussed introducing a tree cutting bylaw, and promptly thousands of acres of precious Carolinian forest were bulldozed by farmers trying get a few more bushels of beans. Deforestation is now at over 97% in both Essex and Kent.

The perks are, ironically, Point Pelee and Rondeau, as well as Lakes Erie and St. Clair

My taxes are very low, but you're on your own for everything. I don't even have garbage pickup or recycling
I agree completely. I even remember not that long ago, the mayor of Windsor was petitioning Doug Ford’s government to remove the ANSI/PSW designations from the South Cameron Woodlot and Tallgrass/Ojibway Prairie areas so they could fill those areas in with more detached homes. Fortunately, even the current government believes that this is a very stupid idea, but this sentiment is still maintained by the city of Windsor to this day. Actually making environmental and conservation considerations during development and planning is a relatively new thing to Windsor, but they’re slowly starting to understand. It’s taken the federal government working toward a National Urban Park as well as re-naturalization around the Herb Gray Parkway/Gordie Howe Bridge to finally change the discussion.

Chatham, meanwhile, has so little naturalized space left that they have a massive crow problem, as they prefer non-naturalized areas (agriculture and urban areas provide lots of food). Their solution? Try to kill all the crows year after year, instead of treating the root of the problem and re-naturalizing some areas.

Both Windsor and Chatham (as well as Essex/Kent) just cut everything down or pave everything over and let people build homes right next to the water’s edge on every little creek and river. Yet the governments wonder why everything floods when it rains.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread