View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:19 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright Concept View Post
Most other World metro systems have stop spacing on average of every 0.4-0.5 miles apart built mostly for moving large numbers of people in a dense local environment. Some of these Metro's operate an "express" train component that averages every 1.0 mile apart to speed up the service and cater to those travelling regionally (serving longer distance) riders.
Oh, I understand that. Your wording just had me confused.

So, would you say that 1-mile stop spacing is just right for LA's oddly configured medium-density, suburban-like land use? Or do you think it's more of an inconvenience?

One more question: How does Chicago implement express service when it only has two tracks (or am I not seeing additional ones?)?

Quote:
Our Metro is built to meet the standard that is more Regional in nature and is utilizing the "express" track metro system standard both for speed, cost-effectiveness and capacity.
I don't know about you, but I tend to think of it as a hybrid between local and express service, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
To create an express component to that stop spacing that is already close to 1.0 mile apart -though trip time improvements will occur however it doesn't offset the poor cost effectiveness at the start- will require stop spacing about every 3-5 miles to make any dent, by then if you need something like this it has got to connect to very dense activity centers at the "Regional Express" and or our system is at full network build out with two or three of the lines in close proximity (1/2 mile apart) are over capacity to warrant service of this magnitude.
I was hinting more at creating express service so that we could have more infill stations, giving us that conventional 1/2-mile stop spacing. I realize, though, that this is not feasible. I don't think, however, that that should necessarily stop us from adding an infill station here and there. I don't agree with strictly following the 1-mile stop spacing. I believe we need to make special exceptions for, say, stations at Wilshire/Robertson and La Cienega/Melrose to serve two popular high-end shopping destinations.

β€” Jerome Bruner