View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That rating is nonsense. I've ridden all over Chicago, from the Baha'i Temple to Hammond, Indiana, from the Lakefront to Berwyn, Oak Park, and Forest Part, From Gage Park to Jefferson Park. And not just quiet side streets - at least one of those trips between the western suburbs and River North included riding Fullerton most of the way in a snowstorm.

Can it be safer? Of course. Is it terrifying in places? Absolutely. Is Chicago a good biking city? 99% yes.

Detroit is the #1 bike city. It's flat and there is no traffic.

No clickbait bike ranking list is ever going to arrive at that conclusion, however. There needs to be a lot of bike-specific infrastructure for a city to achieve a high ranking, since the whole point of bike advocacy is to build things rather than just ride your damn bike.

I've ridden twice in Chicago. It's pretty easy. I remember riding north on Ashland for several miles and someone at my destination remarking that I was a daredevil, or some such. No, it's not that big of a deal, folks. Do some real mountain biking and tell me riding in any U.S. city presents any sort of technical challenge.