View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 4:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypilot View Post
I'm not looking to start a war here. I am curious if any tenants are interested in Winnipeg's inland port. I know Sask went ahead and are now calling it a global transportation hub. What does that even mean. It is all words and names. We have the Loblaws distribution centre in planning and thats it... but I am curious to hear if any company has commited to anything in Winnipeg.

Side note: Lived in Regina 21 years... now in alberta for my job for the last couple years ...... Used to spend alot of time in Winnipeg and I'd take Winnipeg over anywhere in alberta anyday

I agree .. I don't want a competetion on here either.. I wish Regina all the best. The more efficient goods can get from A to B the better off it will be for everyone.

To answer your questions though ... Winnipeg is already the busiest air cargo hub in the nation and the handles the 5th most cargo by wieght .... it also already has the largest rail infrastructure in Western Canada... and is on a major distribution corridor, which will be seeing alot of upgrades in the coming year. So far there is around of 500 million of infrastructure developments ready to go, not including the big developments already underconstruction at the James Armstrong Richardson International.

Once the infrastructure is in place (phase one will be ready to go by the end of 09) I can assure you many of the major cargo distributors would either further develop there opporations in the city, or for those not already located in Winnipeg in any meaningful way will look to locate in this new port.

While Winnipeg has more than its share of grocery store warehouses, including a sizable Loblaws Distribution Centre (no big deal), the Centreport Canada will be mainly made up of general cargo facilities, and large levels of transportation infrastructure and manufacturing facilities. Centreport is going up in response to demand.

Like I said I wish Regina the best in there new hub facility. I don't see one hurting the other at this point.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 31, 2009 at 6:33 AM.