View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:22 PM

Several local media outlets are reporting that groundbreaking for the Godfrey Hotel will be this week, but that can't happen because the building thats supposed to be demolished for the project is still standing. I think what's actually happening is demo and site prep. I went by earlier and they've delivered some construction fences to the site, as well as at the site of the apartment component of this project at Michigan and Church.

The Godfrey Hotel Detroit to feature 227 rooms, rooftop lounge in Corktown

Quote:
Construction will soon begin on a chic, 227-room hotel in Corktown that will feature a rooftop lounge, 5,500-square-foot ballroom, lobby bar, and ground-floor, chef-driven restaurant.

The developers, Oxford Capital Group and Hunter Pasteur, plan to break ground this week on The Godfrey Hotel Detroit at 1401 Michigan Ave. between Trumbull and Eight Street.

The seven-floor hotel is scheduled to open in 2023 and provide 160 to 200 part-time and full-time jobs with health insurance and a minimum pay of $17 an hour. An additional 200 to 300 construction jobs also will be created. At least 25% of the jobs will go to Detroiters, the developers said.

Rendering of I|O Rooftop Lounge

Here's a few other renderings I came across:

Corner of 8th and Leverette. The rundown building in the foreground has been renovated and will soon be home to Detroit Axe's Corktown location.

Not sure if this is also the rooftop bar or if its the ground floor restaurant/bar

The lobby

A few other articles have mentioned that the Michigan + Church apartments are apparently now called "The Perennial Corktown" and will also open in 2023.