View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:15 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
You right. However, doesn't it seem like we've seen significantly less 800'+ proposals since the crash of '08? Does it speak to local and national developers being less bullish on the market here, with a majority of proposals being more conservative, blueglass, semi-boring towers in the downtown area? The one place I'm seeing adventurous architecture is the West Loop. Now that I think of it, the current boom in that neighborhood may mean less 800+ footers; sucking up the demand for office and residential?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
no.

i'd say it's 100% the opposite.

chicago has never seen more 800' projects than it is right now.

chicago's 800+ footers have been built in 4 distinct building booms, with one outlier (park tower).
I spent the 2006 New Year at the top of Jin Mao Tower at about 1,000 feet. The Shanghai World Financial Center was under construction across the street and about our floors height at the time.

Pictures of Shanghai today make Jin Mao seem relatively small, with both SWFC and Shanghai Tower towering over it.

Overall, I'm okay with the pace of Chicago's tower construction. I'd rather end up with a mix of Miami and Paris as much as anything else. There are still a lot of empty lots around.
[/SIZE]