View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:35 PM

What's the source of your city's electricity?

These days the city of San Francisco gives residents a choice of electricity providers with the default being an organization called "CleanPowerSF".

Quote:
A program of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, CleanPowerSF is a local solution to the climate crisis, offering renewable, affordable and accessible energy to our community. We empower residents and businesses to choose a more sustainable future, today.
https://www.cleanpowersf.org

They claim to have 380,000 "customers" in SF with each "customer" being either a business of household housing multiple individuals.

The basic residential service is appropriately labeled "Green" however there is also a "Supergreen" option for a supplemental charge of $.01 per KWhr

I'm introducing this issue because today I received the periodic notification of the sources of my power.

This compares the 2 city options, "Green" and "Supergreen" with the statewide average power sources. As indicated, the default "green" option produces about 8.5% of the greenhouse gas emissions produced by the same amount of power statewide and the "Supergreen" option is emission-free.

CA has historically been somewhat lucky in having some natural emission-free power sources like hydro and geothermal (hot springs/geysers). I'm not sure what impact the drought will have especially on hydro going forward but the amount of solar/wind power being generated statewide is increasing yearly.

So does your city or electric company tell you where it gets the power it provides to your home and/or the greenhouse gasses emitted by generating it?