View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:59 PM

Hello. I've been reading this forum for a few years but rarely post.

First, let me say that I think a hotel next to Wrigley and some new apartments next to the El are a good idea. I get that.

But I completely agree with Via Chicago and Hayward. A block long mall along Clark will detract from the character of the neighborhood. The developer gets to eek out every last penny of profit but the rest of us get to look at a bag of sh!t for decades.

You know, I would almost go along with this project if the Clark St. facade was saved--a facadectomy would preserve some of that character. As this project stands, it will be a net loss to the neighborhood. Character, something that has great value, will be lost and replaced with utter banality. That is not a net gain.

I also don't buy the argument that these new chain stores (CVS, Best Buy, Dominck's, Apple store) will be sited in their best possible locations because of the proximity to the Addison Red Line stop. If these businesses are for the benefit of the neighborhood, as it is being sold, then they don't need to be next to the El. What are local residents going to do? Walk over to the Addison El stop, get on and ride to Belmont, turn around and come back to Addison, then get off and say, "Gee, I sure am glad these stores are next to the El. It makes it so convenient."