View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:10 PM

VZ - you hit the nail on the head.

1. I agree 100% that this building is atrocious - and its biggest flaw is its orientation to the street. Sadly, the only protests will be people still arguing against the move; instead of just accepting the move and trying to improve the inevitable. When will Philly and more specifically, the Parkway, get another world-class museum built from scratch? Instead of seizing the opportunity to build something beautiful - not necessarily Gerhy-esque crazy - but something that has some wow factor to it. Another grand civic building...squandered.

2. And I also agree with your overall assessment of Philly architecture and I've mentioned this many times over my posts - that Philly lacks exciting architecture. The Cira Centre was great but in the grand scheme of things, most of our architecture is boring. Some want to call it "classy" or "understated" or worse, "perfect for Philly"; why is everything that is boring in design perfect for Philly? Why don't we strive for something with a little flash or pizzaz? Even the Comcast Center - it's nice, very classy but is it really that awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping signature tower that defines our city? No, it's just nice and somehow just being nice or okay is all Philadelphians want for our staid city.

VZ you have many many intelligent, well-thought out posts, but this one, for me at least trumps them all.