View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i mean, im talking about distribution warehouses since thats pretty much all thats being built in this area and likely what will be built. other guy mentioned manufacturing as a point of comparison.

at the end of the day though its the totality of everything (including community vulnerability, existing presence of pollution and corresponding sources, access or lack thereof to environmental amenities that other areas take for granted, history of unremeditated environmental injustices, etc) that creates a burden. its not just one thing. if we had electrified semi fleets this might not be as big a deal from an air quality standpoint, although it would probably still be bad from a traffic and quality of life standpoint.
I agree it would suck to live next to one of these warehouses. Also a factory or manufacturing would suck as well. I live 3 houses from Western Ave so I can imagine the 24-hour noise.

I don't know however how this can be an issue now, when these parcels have been zoned for industrial uses for 100+ years. The same reason I don't protest the fact that Western Ave is there. Part of the reason the neighborhoods are affordable to live in today is the fact that they are less desirable given the proximity to these industrial uses.

Even if we somehow forced the industrial parcels to become parks or residential or other low impact use the discussion would inevitably turn into one of injustice and gentrification and pushing out poor people because the area would now be much more desirable.