View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:32 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I'm pretty bullish on the idea that electric airplanes will be a big player in the future, at least for regional routes, especially if their much lower operational expenses play out.

Given they are very quiet and do not need much runway I was wondering if a near-downtown airport for regional flights would ever make sense again. Be it another kind of Meigs Field or London City Airport. The question of course is where would one put it? Out into the Lake? Along the South Branch industrial corridor somewhere?

Quote:
https://www.slashgear.com/united-air...-why-13682251/

United Airlines is ordering 100 of these all-electric planes: Here’s why
Chris Davies -
Jul 13, 2021, 10:20am

......The airline says it could be used on more than 100 of its current regional routes, out of most of its existing hubs. That could mean an electric United flight from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Purdue University Airport (LAF), or from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Modesto City-County Airport (MOD).......

Assuming that all works out, and the ES-19 meets all the necessary safety standards and regulations, United will purchase 100 of the planes. Mesa Airlines will also buy 100 for its own fleet. There’s the possibility, the companies say, for the ES-19 to be launched as soon as 2026......

The ES-19 uses an aluminum frame and four electric motors. Each of those motors is about 20 times less expensive than a similarly-sized turboprop, and about 100 times less than a turbofan, Heart Aerospace suggests.....

Zero-emissions aren’t the only advantage, however. Maintenance costs can be 90-percent lower for electric motors, Heart Aerospace argues, compared to traditional turboprops. Fuel costs drop 50-75 percent. There’s also the potential for electronic systems monitoring, which can proactively spot potential servicing issues, and trim inspection requirements.....
ES-19
Takeoff Distance
2,500 ft
Landing Distance
2,500 ft
Passenger Capacity
Range
250 mi