Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I had wonderful parents so I don't want to bitch against them, but sometimes I wish they had pushed me a bit more: in school especially and also in activities I guess.

Looking back I realize I had an incredible amount of freedom to decide what I wanted to do (though I was reasonably self-motivated in school) but do wonder what could have been if I had been pushed like my kids have been by my wife and I. (Not obsessively so, just enough.)
I feel this 100%. As a kid my parents were pushovers. The second I indicated I didn't want to do an activity, they pulled me out of it. If I didn't like supper they would always make something else for me. And they never made me do chores or clean my room.

I spent a good deal of my early to mid 20s learning how to be a functional human and even now at age 30 I still struggle with basic housework.

One of my worries is that if/when I have kids I'll swing too much the other way and be too strict and raise kids who'll hate me.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek