View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 8:09 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^If the old station was a serious contender I doubt the current tenants would be an impediment. Take my word for it, I have family there.. the reason is because it would be cost prohibitive. You're talking full restoration of a landmark building, structural alterations and elevating of a landmark building, both of which would be in the tens of millions, and then you would still have facilities which aren't ideal for the open, light and airy aesthetic currently in vogue for passenger train stations. It's been ages since I've been in there but it's pretty dark as I remember. It would be neat, but it's probably best to leave it as a former-station.
The last Amtrak station to open in Illinois was Alton:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...=crop%2Cresize

Does that look "open, light, and airy"? Or at least, any more open/light/airy than a restored Peoria depot would be? As for the flooding concerns, I think that could be addressed with a little levee or floodwall around the historic building. Take the excuse to put in a high platform, with a gauntlet track for freight.

Funnily enough, Alton had a historic depot in use, although it was pretty small. They moved it to a worse location behind a Home Depot so they could add a giant parking lot.