View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:41 PM
DENNAB

Nice work rgarri, although I must say 311 South Wacker triplets looks a bit odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
For you and me it might seem like a no-brainer to spend another, say, $500k to add some vanity height, but most penny-pinching developers would disagree.

Luckily a few developers do care for vanity height and bragging rights. Look at Chicago's 6th and 7th tallest buildings, Franklin Center and 2 Prudential Plaza. Their roofs are only around 900 ft, probably to keep the benefit-cost ratio reasonable, but both have spires that go just high enough to reach supertall status.

At only 775', 301 & 321 S Wacker Drive are too far below the 984' mark to ever become supertalls -- they would look rather silly with 210' spires -- although it's still nice that they will be the tallest identical twin buildings in North America, assuming their heights aren't cut. NOTE: The "twins" at Harbour Plaza in Toronto are not identical.
Not sure reaching supertall status was intentional for those buildings, I don't think most developers care about such an arbitrary number or even know it exists.

Spires are kinda lame unless they really fit the design, I'd rather just have two 775' buildings with cool roof gardens.

Quote:
Being right next to Sears/Willis, these "tallest identical twin buildings in North America" look like midgets. *SIGH*
Well yea, Sears is huge