View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2006, 3:40 AM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
^Yeah, I agree. Although, the Ashland Coridor is the eaisest to expand on, The Western Corridor opens up so many more opportunities for TOD and so much more area that would be covered by extensive rail transit (I highly doubt this will be BRT, although with Westersn as wide as it is, I suppose its doable). I doubt the Ashland Corridor will bring in that much more high density development, as WILCO has already fucked up the chances of that in the locations that matter the most. The only problem with the Western Coridor is the south end of the routing which uses the Orange Line. One would have to travel from Roosevelt south to 35th before heading back north again. A much more logical routing under the Western plan would be building an El-Subway along 35th to the Red Line, which would also service US Cellular Field and IIT. Of course, that's just me toking away on a pipe dream. Then agian, the railyards along 39th-Pershing and the Stockyards Industrial Park could be used to bring the line east at a far lower cost.

I hear you on the orange line connections, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. Most trips downtown will probably want to transfer at Blue or Green lines. You're right about the long detour south if you want to go east from Roosevelt, but I'm convinced that best way to go with this is to service with "L" transit the greatest possible length of Western.

And I say put it in the alleys.