View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Ugh that second version looks like a slightly elevated version of NYC public housing high rises. But I am pessimistic a developer would attempt a luxury tower without balconies. I feel like there was an interview with Dranoff when he was hyping Arthaus and one of his takeaways from his recent projects was that buyers wanted more balcony/outdoor space.
Whatever the final design turns to be, the devil is always in the details. Some developers care more than others, some architects will try harder than others, and some are just better than others. That continues all through the building process.

I personally like balconies from a design side, but I'm guessing they add a noticeable cost and ongoing expense if the building is going to be rental apartments. But I wouldn't be surprised if part or all of this building was designed and built with a future conversion to condos in mind. The developer can keep ownership for 10 or more years, milk the City tax and Federal depreciation for as much as possible, then sell off units as market forces dictate. I wonder if this might happen to the St. James on Washington Sq.