Thread: My Los Ángeles
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
^ those pics make me feel really good. I respect the company behind the renovations of both the old timey place that's known for hot dogs & the old timey place that show biz ppl hung out decades ago & is known for a quasi chinese theme.
Yeah, they're actually kinda fun. We hadn't been to the Formosa Cafe in many years, before it was closed and renovated/restored. It's been so long that I was trying to remember what it looked like back then; maybe a little dingy, but it wasn't dirty or anything---you know, it had that "patina" of being a very old place. I remember it being darker, too, even in the daytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
btw, your last pic shows part of a large apt bldg right next to the fwy. The complex, when it was still being built, went up in a huge fire several decembers ago. It gets a lot of jeers for its kitschy design, but it filled up rather quickly & appears to have a high occupancy rate today. It occupies land that was formerly parking lots....which I recall driving by yrs ago & never being ok with.
I guess the good thing about that apartment building is that it added more housing, but honestly I don't like the look of it. And it's so long and huge. And with its "cousin" that they recently built across the freeway from it, I think it ruins the look of driving south on the 110 into downtown. It's like a long wall of beige cheap stucco apartments on both sides: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0616...4!8i8192?hl=en

Hideous.

~ Charles Bukowski