View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You must be Polish.

Lithuanian is a distinct language (Baltic) one of only 2 in the world (the other being Latvian) that is not related to any other Indo-European Language. It is derived from Sanskrit. It is the oldest European language. It is not Slavic. Polish is Slavic. Lithuania was the last place in Europe to convert to Catholicism and to this day, still has a strong traditions based in Paganism.

Polish people have big round faces with high cheek bones. Lithuanians do not. As someone who is 50% Lithuanian and has taken multiple DNA tests, I can tell you not an ounce of my DNA says "Polish". It very precisely tracks my origin to two municipalities in Lithuania and my family can track its history to the 1400s. No part of the family history is, oh yeah, "we're Polish".

Lithuanians speak Polish the way Danes speak Swedish and Finns Norwegian, etc. Because it's a very small place and its necessary to get by. And yes, there is a shared history but we are ethnically distinct.

Europeans have colonized this continent for 500 years at this point and it does not make Native Americans Anglo-European Americans.

Asking a Polish person if Lithuanians are the same as them is akin to asking a Greek if Macedonia is Greece or asking a Russian if Ukraine is Russia. It's incredibly ignorant.
While it's a fact that Lithuanians are a Baltic people and not Slavic, it's also a fact that Macedonia was historically was Greek, and not slavic. The country that is called North Macedonia is populated by Slavs, Bulgarians to be more precise, so yes, they are not Greek. However the name, culture and the most of the historical area of Macedonia was and is still in Greece.