View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
the sunbelt's growth relies on an increasingly outdated model of suburbanization. it's increasingly outdated because it is increasingly unsustainable. simple economics will bear this out in the coming decades when the sunbelt realizes how difficult it will be to adapt much of what infrastructure has been invested. we are living in a different world, and the sunbelt is growing in the pattern that cities started growing about 50 years ago - the only difference is everything is newer. they are not contributing to the advancement of urban planning and the us will suffer because of it relative to newer asian societies.
We don't have city and county numbers out yet, but here's my take...

The sunbelt cities have sown the seeds of suburbanization long enough, and have already started to "wise up". I think growth will continue to be strongest in the South and West over the next decade because now these same cities are shifting rapidly to infill and better sustainability practices. However, I agree that we can't continue to grow in the suburban model and expect no consequence.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist