View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I have to giggle at you complainers. Try a large city and see what a commute is.
Majority of Payworks employees are from the south end of city. So that would actually be less impact on the environment.

Now for my company which I own. I have to drive everywhere in this city and all the bedroom communities. If you learn the traffic routines of the city you can get anywhere fairly easy. Even rush hour. Of course there are bottlenecks like Osborne Village etc. But there's always a route around it.

As for extra costs for driving to work....yikes you office workers drive to work and back. Life changing event. A few extra thousand dollars in costs ? I spent $13000 in fuel last year. This year I'm sure with these prices it will be $26000. I am trying to drive less this year but I'm not crying that it's the end of the world.

As someone said about people living beyond their means. Gas and fuel are up $1 over last year. That's not life ending. But when some people I work for go from per say a $300 K Windsor Park home to a $850k Bridgewater home and still have the same job. I don't feel sorry at all for them. Neither do I feel sorry when I see a new Range Rover in the driveway.

And I understand my business requires driving both to work and on site. But if I was one of you folks with an office downtown. I'd definitely love downtown or along the RT line. Btw that RT line bike path is amazing, until you get to Osborne. But I definitely enjoy coming home and jumping on my bike and going for a 25-35km ride. So I am all for the bike lanes ( proper ones ).

Either way this city isn't that bad for traffic. I suggest if you feel it's bad try heading into Minneapolis of heading out during rush hour. That's almost like half a day's work just stuck on the interstate in bumper to bumper traffic.

Better yet try Vancouver. Try even Victoria.

As for office's downtown. If that's true that we are 70% office's downtown, then I'm floored and happy with that. I am with you with not want a bunch of offices in the burbs like you'd see in Minneapolis. But the odd little one like Payworks which already was in the burbs doesn't bother me.
Not disagreeing with anything but just want to point out re: Victoria (cause I commute the city daily)

Victoria has nothing on the worst traffic in Winnipeg. Highway 1 is prob the worst to/from Langford to/from victoria and even that is a shorter distance than around Winnipeg. Douglas is two lanes. Traffic lights break up the flow and keep things moving. Blanchard which is the busiest road is smaller than portage ave and has significantly less traffic movements.

And langford’s not the same city. Victoria itself is very small and many commutes can be done via bike if you wanted. To get around the city is a good 10 to 15 mins tops. To get around Winnipeg can take an hour depending on the route.

Winnipeg does have some bad traffic areas but the fact there’s is no central highway that everything goes through is a saving grace for the city. If Winnipeg had that I think traffic would be much worse. It’s still a relatively large (by Canadian standards) metro and bedroom community commuting region, and the population growth is outpacing the infrastructure. The area has grown by ~100k between 2010-2020 and that’s a lot more cars on the road. That number alone is 25-30% of the greater victoria regions entire population lol

The multiple paths in Winnipeg makes traversing the city more creative during traffic heavy areas. Bad crash and traffic jam on portage? You can figure a way around. Can’t do that on Deerfoot or Anthony henday if you’re stuck in just the right area. But the flip side is the uncreative majority plus bottleneck small lane roads are still barriers to free flowing traffic, and it can make commutes in Winnipeg longer than they otherwise could be

Larger cities are larger and have more traffic. Winnipeg def won’t have anything on Minneapolis or Vancouver. But those cities have nothing on LA or London, and so on and so forth

Last edited by roccerfeller; Jun 13, 2022 at 10:24 AM.