View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:36 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I would have to disagree with this. I think Camden could be a satellite city, but it has not functioned as one to date in any traditional sense of the word notwithstanding its geographical proximity. And the development we are seeing there now is not a function of its proximity to Philly. I do think Camden could function as a integrated, synergistic satellite city down the line if Philly develops as we hope it will and it is shaping up to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Camden has the potential to serve Philadelphia as a mini Jersey City, but right now, it’s just wishful thinking.
Actually, Camden seems to be about as linked to Center City as North Philly is. The two move in the same ways at the same times. They share the same history of heavily industrial economies, deindustrialization, ghettoization and abandonment, and now finally getting hot at the same time as one another. Just as Cherry Hill and King of Prussia are economic mirrors of one another, Philly and Camden could not be more economically interdependent. You can't claim that City B is a satellite city of City A only when it's doing well; if the two places are in the same city region and doing poorly at the same time for the same reasons then the one is still the satellite city of the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Absolutely. When I lived in NYC (1995-2007), Jersey City was a barren wasteland that you wouldn't be caught dead in. At the end of my time it had started it's change but now it's a respectable spot.

The same thing is happening to Camden. It's EARLY stages but I can totally see that happening if the current momentum continues in Camden (and Philly).
Bingo. Jersey City is following the same trajectory as the parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx marginal to Manhattan (Red Hook, LIC, South Bronx, etc), which have one after another heated up in the last decade. Newark is following the same trajectory as the more distant parts of Brooklyn and Queens (Jamaica in particular). Just so, Camden is following the same trajectory as lower North Philly.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)