View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
See The Laurel. The lot it sits on went through numerous bad ideas before the right developer came along and gave it the jewel it deserved. I’d take 3-4 years of an eyesore in exchange for a well-designed 300 footer here over the egg that TC wants to lay here.
The 3+ blocks separating the site of the Laurel and 23rd and Walnut marks a huge difference. The Laurel has a beautiful view of the Square. 23rd and Walnut is a hop skip and a jump away but it's next to a gas station, a bunch of shabby buildings, and is at the point of Walnut Street where it begins to resemble a highway (bridge to Univ City).

Indeed there are certain locations where excellence is a must. The site of the Laurel definitely fits that. But I agree w/ Templeguy that 23rd and Walnut is not one of those locations. I'm not defending this pile of trash either, don't get me wrong. But demanding that nothing but an exceptionally designed high rise be built at this specific location - and willing to wait years for that possibility - is not a sentiment I agree with either. Of course in theory, I would not mind waiting 3-4 years for a nicer, taller project but it could also end up being 10 years and we get another crappy design. Let's not pretend either that this design is an exception - most of what's going up is pretty average anyway.

But don't despair fellas, there's still the Sunoco station on 22nd where a sleek high rise could end up being built one day.