View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
came across this:

It may surprise you to learn that Winnipeg has the 5th highest number of corporate head offices in Canada. (fourth highest per capita)

There are almost as many Top 500 corporations headquartered in Winnipeg (18) as there are in Edmonton (8) and Ottawa (11) combined.

The number of corporate head office employees in Winnipeg (6900) is almost as high as that of Edmonton (4600) and Ottawa (3400) combined.

When considering head offices outside of the Top 500, Winnipeg (129) is between Edmonton (157) and Ottawa (101).

Of the top 500 publicly traded companies in Canada (highest returns 2006), Winnipeg had 10 companies on the list as compared to Edmonton with 7, Ottawa with 6, Quebec City with 2 and Hamilton with 0.

Wished we had more buildings in our downtown which reflected this point. I also wished Great West had a taller head office to reflect the size and importance of this massive insurance and investment company.

Now that GWL was purchased Putnum Investments (large US mutual fund company) l would expect more administrative positions moving to Winnipeg and thus more office space required. While GWL will maintain Putnum's US headoffice GWL will still likely expand to managed its joint administration.
I expect some form of annoucement in the next year in regards to GWL's required office expansion. Hopefully a new highrise is on the horizon.