View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:24 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s a shame that so many of these old rail lines fell into disuse. Such a waste to have the right of way and not use it. Even a (relatively) cheap cut-and-cover project to grade separate, and some extra heavy rail between the NW Side and Lakeview would be very useful.
Agreed on the wasted opportunity. But why bother with the cost of grade seperation? Just double up the trackage and run a surface line on there, like a tram or street car. It had its own ROW for much of the route, and Lakewood Ave isn't terribly busy, so it wont get tangled up in traffic. Giving it signal priority (or crossing gates when on its own ROW) when crossing major streets will essentially give it the time efficiency of a grade separated line but without the cost.

Clearly it's too late for the C&E line, but it would have been a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
thank Pizza God that you're not in charge of things within the cubs organization.

the jumbo-trons are indeed terrible, but the improvements to the exterior of the stadium along clark and addison have been tremendous.
Not a fan of the jumbo trons at all, but I suppose necessary to keep Wrigley Field around. If the stadium isn't viable, then no one will spend money to maintain it. Better a Wrigley Field with big screens (like every other MLB stadium for that matter) than no Wrigley at all.

The exterior of the stadium looks GREAT. I am really happy with the improvements. The removal of the concret panels and chain link fencing has really improved the attractiveness of the facade. The sun burst wrought iron fencing is just a joy to look at. I am a very happy Cubs fan anytime I am looking at Wrigley.