View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:16 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Shh, it's a secret! (Your city's hidden gems)

I was inspired to start this thread after learning about this thing right here:

Airside Garden

That's the Airside Garden at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, smack by the runway. Feel free to walk around and explore it, because Google was nice enough to put the whole thing on Streetview. Meanwhile, here's a view from above in which you can see this lovely little oasis tucked in there snug between the terminal and the runway, which means it's a good place to hang out and watch the planes come and go.

I had no idea this thing existed until I flew to Florida and back earlier this month and saw signs in the terminal about it. It's worth noting that the terminal itself also features fountains and statues, which are kind of a trend all across Greenville and Spartanburg, if you think about it... These are a pair of cities that adore a good fountain, statue, or both, and both cities are littered with them both.

However, discovering this little garden makes me wonder what sort of exquisite, charming, weird, or interesting things are tucked away off the beaten path in your city.

Let's discuss!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947