View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:36 PM

Wow – thanks so much for compiling these images! These buildings are truly incredible. The Miami Innovation Tower is one of the most unique buildings I’ve seen!

I think a city that’s missing in the Florida discussion is Gainesville. Of course, it's no Miami or Orlando, but it was actually named one of America’s quickest-growing cities and there’s been a LOT of urban development lately. There has been constant construction over the past few years on the University of Florida campus and in the business/residential areas surrounding it. They aren't necessarily building out downtown Miami-esque skyscrapers, but there has been some beautiful low- and mid-rise buildings constructed recently.

UF's College of Business recently completed Heavener Hall:

Image Credit: University of Florida Heavener Hall

University of Florida Health and Shands Hospital are also adding on. UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital and the UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital are currently undergoing a $415 million expansion; the completed building will be approximately 521,104 square feet.

Image Credit: Skanska

There is an area between the University of Florida campus and downtown Gainesville called Innovation Square which has become a major startup hub for research and tech companies, and they've built several luxury office spaces recently. Another one, Ingenuity, is set for completion in January of 2018:

Image Credit: Trimark Properties

Also lots of cool multifamily development due to the 50,000 students attending UF annually.

Savion Park was completed in 2014:

Image Credit: Trimark Properties

UF also built an ultramodern dorm specifically for Innovation Academy students that was completed recently:

Image Courtesy: University of Florida Housing & Residence Education

A bit further out from the center of Gainesville in Alachua is Progress Park, another high-tech area which has recently seen a lot of urban development.

Nanotherapeutics just built a 183,000-square-foot facility (not too many great photographs, but it's striking in person):

Image courtesey: Nanotherapeutics LinkedIn

In that same area, the UF Sid Martin Biotechnology Incubator has a new, unique office:

Image Courtesey: Progress Park

As I mentioned before, it's no big city like New York, and buildings in the Gainesville area are generally built "out", not "up". New buildings with unique architecture are popping up everywhere, which I think is a testament to the power of urban development in Florida's often overlooked smaller cities.

Again, thanks again for this compilation!