View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's an amazing photograph. It shows a lumber wagon owned by the Kerckhoff-Cuzner Mill & Lumber Co.

ebay

The seller says this may be San Pedro.
I tried to find a couple of the places visible in the photo but only succeeded in confusing myself.

I was only able to find a "Littler Giant" Heater Co. and a "Little Giant" Truck Co. (both in Los Angeles) but no "Little Giant" Garage.

In the 1908 San Pedro directory there were only four apartments and twelve hotels listed , none being the Casa Grande.

__
You were on the right track, e_r, although your picture was in Los Angeles and not in San Pedro.

The "Little Giant" Garage was at 649 S. Grand, as can be seen from this 1917 ad from the LAT:

And e_r, as you can see your picture features the "649" street number.

It also was called the "Automobile Exchange Garage" at that same address in the 1910-1920 CDs.

Here's an article from a promotional publication which shows how San Pedro got into the mix.

Your (pre 1920) picture shows an old Queen Anne survivor which might be on the next street west (Hope). I am too tired tonight to track down the Casa Grande Family and Tourist Hotel, which looks like it might be around 5th and Flower or Hope. Maybe one of our DTLA mavens can pick up the torch as my head is about to hit the keyboard. Thanks