View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post

Same problem - you need to go through the city to get to the airport - anyone stopped could just say "I'm on my way to Midway..."
The apps would not accept destinations inside city limits that aren't the airport. Rideshare companies would most certainly not risk losing city/airport access altogether for non-compliance. They already have to give data to the city.

Quote:
This, or a variation of it, is the answer. Whatever part of the city that makes sense becomes a "permit only" zone. This is in place all over the world. There are cameras at all entry points into the zone that scans license plate. Any car with a plate not in the database gets a ticket in the mail. There are typically ways to exempt non-permitted vehicles from the fines. The example I'm familiar with is in Italy, where if you're a hotel guest the hotel has a way to enter your car to get the exemption. I'm not sure how with would apply to things like food delivery services or Uber/Lyft - I'd think there would be a way for them to pay a large annual fee to be able to enter the zone as permitted. That would, of course, be added to your delivery fees.

London has something similar and NYC is talking about it.

In Chicago, I guess it could work sort of like the zoned parking:

You live in the zone you get a free pass to drive there.
You live in the zone and have a guest? - there could be away to enter an exemption for their car - with a cost per use and an annual limit.
You need to enter the zone repeatedly but don't live there? You can by an expensive annual permit.

This could even be time of day, where the permit is only needed M-F 7-7 or whatever.
I support a utilization standard for rideshare and dynamic congestion pricing. Both of these could indeed be done with fully automatic enforcement. Tons of people already have transponders for tolls and plate cameras could handle the rest.