View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Fixed that for you.

As far as timelines, anything you might have heard in the past can be thrown out the window at this point.

Covid kinda sorta changed everything everywhere.
And now we're already onto the affects of the Russian sanctions which will dominate global economics and markets for probably years to come. I think many are underestimating their impacts and cascade of of effects they may result in.

These massive projects were not anticipating $130 (to $200) a barrel oil. Copper prices have soared and steel is starting to crank too. Some of these things are 2x and 3x what they were when some of these major projects were proposed. This against the backdrop of a sliding stock market which will probably hurt demand. I'm not an expert but if the profit margins were already thin on any of these projects they are much less feasible now. If nothing else, the massive uncertainty about how this will play out will probably freeze any major investments like this until there is some more clarity.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but as far as major projects like this go, I think we're going to have to accept what has shovels in the ground for the foreseeable future.