View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
In the age of instagram, twitter, and cell phone cameras, everyone is a photographer, and everyone wants that perfect shot and selfie. People are always looking for the next thing. I try to rotate my visits to the decks, but Midtown is where most of the new action has been, so I sadly haven’t been to the WTC deck in a few years. But for basic view of skyscrapers, Top of the Rock is the best I think because of its central location. You’re looking out and up at supertall skyscrapers in every direction, and its only getting better.

Yeah, those classic decks were special, especially because it was at a time when the world wasnt covered in so many tall buildings.
I certainly wish that the Woolworth Building observation deck was reopened to the public as part of the conversion of the upper floors to condos. It would have made the Woolworth Building observation deck a popular tourist attraction in the age of Instagram and smartphones. At least the former observation deck at 70 Pine Street has been turned into a restaurant that is open to the public as part of it's conversion to a residential building. On top of this, I certainly wish the Brooklyn Tower at 9 DeKalb Avenue had a public observation deck at the top, considering that the Williamsburg Savings Bank Tower had a public observation deck when it opened in 1929.