View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 6:48 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Part of what is so appealing to me about the current plan is all to the people it forces onto Market street from 8th to 12th. The development that will induce is going to be fantastic for the area. It will be unrecognizable within a year or two of the arena opening. If the arena goes in that far north like you’re suggesting, it’s no guarantee that section of Market sees the transformational change it will see under the current plan.
I just have no doubt that Market Street is already heading in a good direction.
Perhaps not as quickly as some would like.

Is there a precedent?
Is there an example of an arena moving into a district where the district has benefitted?
No really.

I know in Pittsburgh, that new arena still sits amongst parking lots, for the most part.
The development that has happened would have with out the arena.
They tore down the "Igloo" for this "mall". That's what it looks like. A big fat mall that, other than when people are actually streaming in or out of the building, does little to enhance the neighborhood. It has little interaction with the street.
Perhaps if it sat above street level retail.

In Miami their arena sat disconnected from Downtown for decades.
my first apt in NY was 1 block from MSG. After a game or concert the drunken masses descended on the neighborhood. My visiting sister was accosted twice.
Not something that I see attracting residential development. Commercial development seems to be at a stand still everywhere, Center City development will largely count on residential and lab space.
What some people blithely call NIMBYs I see as the residents who've invested in the neighborhood.
What some see as placing it where it will have the biggest impact
I see it as placing it where it would do the least harm.

This shows some proposals over the past few years in red. Including the "Fashion District" tower proposals.
The blue are under construction.

East Market by , on Flickr

Last edited by SEFTA; Jan 16, 2023 at 7:58 AM.