View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:25 PM

copied from Philly thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjPhilly View Post
Wow. I probably should have expected a little outcry at my comments. I'm replying here but if I need to take this elsewhere, someone please let me know. I do feel the need to clarify some misconceptions.

You obviously fail to grasp the dynamics of pricing in the supply and demand equation. As your observation points out, curb space is in HIGH demand, because it is very convenient and priced very low. The most logical and effective way to encourage turnover of parking spaces and increase availability is to INCREASE the parking rates/cost.

And I suggest you remove your head from ideological bubble. I wholeheartedly agree that additionally subway lines could dramatically improve mobility within the city. The absolute fact of the matter is that this will not change much in the next 25 or so years. If you know anything about the transportation planning and funding process, you'll probably agree this is generous. Also, I would like to point out that 70% of Center City's workforce uses public transit to get to work. Things might not be as dire as you make them out to be, as least for a couple of hundred thousand residents of the region.

What I detest about your comments and other similar ones is that it absolves people of responsibility for their own choices. We (the City) shouldn't have to subsidize the convenience of on-street parking for anyone (suburban or city residents). People choose to live where they do, for a variety of reasons. If you choose to live far away from transit, you can pay to park more on-street, or you could make the effort to drive to the nearest train station. Or you could move. Or you could never come to Center City. The fact that you have to drive into the City is a result of your own actions; so accept the consequences.

On another note, I'm not defending the price of off-street parking. $27 for three hours is a lot, and theoretically, yes, short-term parking in garages should be priced lower. I know the city is working with both the PPA and private operators to make that so. Obviously, the city has little control over both.

Lastly, the PPA is a STATE agency. For years now the PPA has been run by Harrisburg. And in terms of what happens with the revenues, the first $25 million in net revenue goes to the City general fund. Anything over that goes directly to the school district. So raising the rates is not (primarily) a scam by the city to rake in more cash.