View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles1800 View Post
From the information I've gathered, the reason west palm beach doesn't build past 450 feet is because of the height restrictions, zoning regulations, and the pushback from some of the residents. West palm beach has had some great skyscraper projects proposed, but since the majority of the city and the surrounding area is made up of old and elderly people, they tend to oppose tall buildings, because in their words " we don't want to become another Miami". This is why most of these projects are not well favored by some of the community.
It's practically next to impossible to build what Miami is building since Downtown Miami is about 7 miles from it's airport compared to 3 miles from downtown WPB to PBI. It makes a lot more sense to impose reasonable height limits in downtown WPB for the same reason that downtown Boston has height restrictions for the very same reason: proximity to the airport!

The height restrictions on Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and Tampa makes no sense since by the time a jetliner reaches those downtowns, it's already above about 10K ft in the air and if we're going to build something that tall, which I don't see happening until the year 2500, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, and Tampa can afford to build 1K+ supertalls in their downtowns since the runways aren't parallel going directly into their downtowns. Let's hope for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
Yup, there's a lot of pushback on height. At least it isn't palm beach, they have one of the worst height restrictions. Though WPB had been trying to raise height limits at least.
PB is like that because it's always been a wealthy enclave, so they have a lot of power and a lot of say. I wouldn't change PB, though, it's a very nice town and it's nice that WPB is at least trying to raise it's height limits, albeit WPB has to do it with more sense due to the proximity of the airport.