View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
No, I'm not out of touch with reality. I think it is indeed sad that Americans would rather have Chipotle and Shake Shack over Jamaican patties and Nigerian cassava cake. It shows you how unwilling the average American is in trying different things, and trying things that are even better than Chipotle and Shake Shack. That is the reality. Genuinely surprised? Well, if I knew people tried the one other thing but preferred Chipotle and Shake Shack, then yes. It'd be like a McDonald's putting those west African and Caribbean restaurants out of business.

Since we're talking about food, my guess too is that restaurants and snack-type places that used to do a lot of business providing breakfasts and donut-runs for office breakrooms have seen a big decline, since many workers are WFH.
Naming random foods from random countries doesn't make you worldly, and looking down on basic American Food doesn't make you superior. I grew up in Manhattan and have had more Jamaican Patties than I can count, and they are ok, but give me a burger from Shake Shack any day of the week.
I've never had that Nigerian thing, but certainly would rather have a good burger any day of the week.