View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Huh? Why does this project need to fail for the city?
Lincoln Park is already gentrified. The area isn't exactly a ghetto of Atlanta.

The river here is little more than an industrial canal, as far as rivers go it's not very scenic. If you need bodies of water, the freshwater Sea of Michigan(Chicago) is only mile away. I say we rename it the Sea of Chicago, has a nice ring to it haha! There plenty of parks and water nearby.
If you want to do something with the river, turn it into a neighborhood like the canals of Amsterdam with scenic foot bridges every block. That would be really cool.
I think this development is great!
The original river basin was more like wetlands, I am a big proponent of returning portions of this city, especially abandoned areas on the south side, to natural wetlands and savanahs, it would relive the storm water flooding issues and create some nature, which is better than the half abandoned auto centric far out neighborhoods of the south side. The Yards could easily become a relif point in the river where it's allowed to jump its "industrial canal" banks and make a nice wet land, forest area. We have to be honest about the Yards - unless it has real dedicated rail integrated into the CTA system, its not only not going to work, it's going to completely overwhelm 2 of the best residential neighborhoods in the city, Lincoln Park and Bucktown. They already are a so traffic clogged on weekends and rush hour its laughable someone would even suggest putting a stadium there. Id hate to see it built and then destroy the very neighborhoods we hold as examples of Chicago's walkability and urbanism.