View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Among the non-quick-non-cheap-but-partially-already-prepped options, the Blue Line tunnels do have a stub headed west under Lake Street. If there was interest that could be used as a portal to get trains to/from Block 37 to what you're calling "steam road trackage" ROW. The narrowness of the tunnels would limit your options somewhat, but it would only have to get past one station so there could be creative solutions although keeping the trains compatible with all stations would likely be a preferred option of course.
I think this is another workable but over-engineered solution with an equally enormous potential cost. I would really prefer that the CTA not shovel more cash into the money incinerator that is the B37 airport express. The city has far more pressing transit needs. Airport express service can be accomplished FAR more inexpensively done out of Union Station and could be implemented almost immediately rather than 10 years from now. If we're going to spend hundreds of millions on something I think improving Union Station's connections and facilities is a more productive goal.