View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 4:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
This is another one that will come down.
That was one of the earliest proposals for a rebuild, even before the rezoning. The rezoning just makes it likelier that it'll come down someday.
https://nypost.com/2001/05/15/new-sk...-237-park-ave/

Likewise, the old Biltmore Hotel (335 Madison) was planned for it's rebuild, but the Milstein's opted for a renovation for now. This is directly north of Vanderbilt, with the same zoning as Vanderbilt, so I'm in no rush to see a new supertall on that site. Vanderbilt can shine for a little longer.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/03/vanderb...ive-new-tower/

Vanderbilt corridor set for massive new tower

By Lois Weiss
March 3, 2015

Quote:
The Vanderbilt corridor may be getting a new tower on a site no one expected to be redeveloped so fast.

Shrewd Howard Milstein is now focusing on designing and developing a completely new modern tower at 335 Madison Ave. that would take advantage of the new Vanderbilt corridor zoning boost, The Post has learned.

To those of you who can’t make heads or tails out of taking down a 1.1 million square-foot tower from 1984 for a slightly larger one, think again.

Some sources have indicated that Milstein, harkening back to its location and history, would like to include a “high end” hotel as part of the new plans.

The 1984 tower was actually a stealthy redevelopment of the 1913-era Biltmore Hotel that the Milstein family started razing before preservationists could react.

They went with the reno instead...
https://www.shoparc.com/projects/335-madison-avenue/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
how so? Is the currently proposed height unlikely to be buiilt?
The likelihood of it getting built is dependent on tenants, which if you follow the leasing of One Vanderbilt is a pretty good prospect. I also think of the Hyatt as the first major tenant.

There are very few complicated zoning issues to work out (most of it has already been worked out in the midtown east rezoning, and is more formality than anything else). There are the issues of ownership to be worked out between the city/state, which is basically just paperwork. Landmarks will have a look at it, but there's no issue to be had with this tower as opposed to the smaller version.

I think the biggest issues will be at ground level and the plaza. I always said this was the wrong location for a ground level plaza, and they've found a nice way to work around that. There's also a second plaza on the western side that faces Grand Central, also opening up views.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM.