View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 5:08 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Often I wonder how the twins would have looked on today's skyline (any artists out there feel free to give us all a look!), with Goldman Sachs' building and the several residential near supertalls, especially the Gehry.

Then I look at 90's images and the twins are All Dominating. In a way, it would have been a shame for them to lose that today what with all the taller buildings that have gone up.

Food for thought.
I was wondering that very exact same thing! To take it a step further, I really wonder if all the new taller buildings would have ever gone up in an alternate timeline. It 'seems' at least from the perspective here that the construction wave really started in Lower Manhattan as an indirect result of 9/11 due to tax breaks, government incentives, ect... all to get businesses to return to the area, initially anyways, in the early years following. One direct example being the Goldman Sachs headquarters. That's really been floating in my mind as well, because it really seems the construction boom really began starting in 2002 with then Mayor Bloomberg wish a push to keep the NYC skyline moving forward in part as a potential response as well. There are other factors at play as well, including economic; however, this 'seems' to be at least in part one of them.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:22 PM.