View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I used to be more indifferent to legalizing weed... well, I didn't want it legalized because I hate weed, but that's it... little moral argument from me.

I spoke with two psychologists and both were terrified of exactly that effect... hell I think I mentioned it here too and was dismissed...

I absolutely laugh when people use alcohol as a place holder for these debates.

Alcohol is nearly a destroyer of worlds, and comparing substances to alcohol makes them ok for legal use? Keep in mind we're ADDING to the drug market, not replacing. Since we know how bad alcohol is, we want to add similarly destructive substances to our daily life?

Man, two wrongs don't make a right... what happened to that diddy?

That said I love booze, lol. I love it carefully.
Meth has been growing for years now. I was starting to hear a lot about it about 5 years ago, and around then I even had some random guy on a bus ask me if I knew where to get some. I don't think it's ramping up because of weed legalization. We're talking 2 pretty different categories of drug with different customer bases and often different vendors. Meth is a hard drug, I'm pretty sure the people using it now were using stuff like inhalants and oxycontin before. I don't really see somebody who likes to smoke a casual joint now and then suddenly switching to freakin meth because legal weed is gonna cost a little more.

As far as the alcohol stuff, well we're not really ADDING anything considering people who want to smoke pot were doing it anyway. You can grow it anywhere, it's going to exist one way or another so it's just a question of who we want selling it - drug dealers or legal, taxable, regulated businesses.

And alcohol IS definitively worse. Almost 50% of all violent crime involves alcohol, possibly higher in Winnipeg where cheap booze has long been a drug of choice for our street population. I've also never seen somebody start a fight, smash a window or puke all over the sidewalk because they smoked a joint. I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that cannabis is "similarly destructive".